4-H members from across northwest Missouri participated this month in the Regional 4-H Shooting Sports competition at the Noel Miller Range in Ravenwood.
Despite rainy weather, 118 4-Hers from a 19-county area participated in dozens of events, including archery, BB gun, pellet gun, .22-caliber rifle and shotgun.
The contest was divided into three age divisions: junior, ages 8-10; intermediate, ages 11-13; and senior, ages 14-18.
Juniors did not compete in shotgun, and seniors did not compete in BB.
Archery was broken into three categories: compound bow with release aid, compound bow with no release aid and traditional recurve/longbow instinctive shooting.
This was the third year that FITA International/Olympic-style archery was offered in both compound and traditional recurve divisions. Medals were awarded to the top three finishers in each event across all age divisions.
All 4-H members participating in the contest had previously completed a minimum of ten hours of 4-H shooting sports safety instruction by a certified 4-H Shooting Sports leader.
Nodaway County 4-H certified leaders and assistants hosting the contest were: Rose Buholt, Nodaway County 4-H Shooting Sports coordinator; Rick McClellan, Deanna McClellan and Sheryl Newton, archery; Pat Giesken and Tim Conover, BB and pellet; Ralph Johnson, Krista Johnson and Rita Wallinga, .22 rifle; John Giesken, Steve Schniedermeyer and Willis Spire, shotgun; Lauren Buholt, scoring and tabulating.
The Northeast Nodaway Bluejays 4-H Club provided a food stand on the grounds with proceeds going to the club. Club leader is Dana Auffert. Northeast Nodaway 4-H volunteer leader Pam Spire coordinated the concessions.
Results of the competition are listed below.
• Compound bow no release: Junior, 1st Dakota Allen, Nodaway County; 2nd Weston Deering, Nodaway County. Intermediate, 1st Ashley Thompson, Nodaway County. Senior, 1st Jenna Moore, Clinton County; 2nd Madison Thompson, Nodaway County; 3rd Jasmine Mumford, Clinton County.
• Compound with release: Junior, 1st Kaci Persell, Grundy County; 2nd Halle Clement, Nodaway County; 3rd Landon Morris, Andrew County. Intermediate, 1st Adrianne Fordyce, Harrison County; 2nd Hannah Persell, Grundy County; 3rd Conner Young, Andrew County. Senior, 1st Drake Fordyce, Harrison County; 2nd Trestan McGeorge, Nodaway County; 3rd Brandon Newton, Nodaway County.
• FITA International/Olympic-style archery compound: Intermediate, 1st Hannah Persell, Grundy County; 2nd Madison Shaw, Caldwell County. Senior, 1st Blake Williams, Grundy County; 2nd Trestan McGeorge, Nodaway County; 3rd Morgan Shaw, Caldwell County.
• BB gun: Junior, 1st Alex M. Smith, Nodaway County; 2nd Dillon Gilmer, Caldwell County; 3rd Drew Spire, Nodaway County. Intermediate: 1st Chet Spire, Nodaway County; 2nd Haleigh Karl, Clinton County; 3rd Kaylin LaMaster, Nodaway County.
• Pellet gun: Junior, 1st Dylan Wilmes, Nodaway County.
• .22 rifle open sites at 50 feet: Junior, 1st Alex M. Smith, Nodaway County; 2nd Landon Morris, Andrew County; 3rd Chase Atkins, Nodaway County. Intermediate: 1st Garret Donoho, Livingston County; 2nd Grant Schaffner, Livingston County; 3rd Montana Leonard, Andrew County. Senior: 1st Keegan Budine, Buchanan County; 2nd Emma Stonum, Harrison County; 3rd Jill Spire, Nodaway County.
Page 2 of 2 - • Shotgun/trap: Intermediate, 1st Dalton Auffert, Nodaway County; 2nd Nathan Moore, Harrison County; 3rd Ethan Coleman, Harrison County. Senior: 1st Keegan Budine, Buchanan County; 2nd Grady Luke, Nodaway County; 3rd Amanda O'Riley, Nodaway County.
For more information about the 4-H Shooting Sports and other 4-H programs, call Annette Deering, 4-H youth development specialist, University of Missouri Extension, (660) 582-8101.